Tuesday, June 7, 2016

What's In A Gluten Free Mom's Hospital Bag

Seven years between pregnancies means that I don't remember much from my first pregnancy and preparing for a baby.

There are some things that are instinctual (i.e. Babies need diapers), but then there are other things I have forgotten (I.e. What will I need at the hospital?).

What I have on my list/in my bag so far:

Pyjamas - loose comfortable, button up front pyjamas. I know they have gowns, but I also remember that the gowns weren't as comfortable as my pj's and a button front would have been helpful for breastfeeding.  On second thought, pj bottoms will be a hassle (especially after a c-section), so a nightgown that allows for easy access for breastfeeding and for those many Doctor/nurse assessments would be better.

Extra Underwear - Honestly, I don't remember how many pairs I packed or went through last time. I keep reading in posts about the hospital providing disposable underwear, but I don't remember this.  I also cringe at the word disposable, so 4 or 5 loose fitting underwear that I don't mind getting stained have made their way into my bag.

Heavy Flow Pads - Yep, for that lovely post partum bleeding.  I'm a Diva Cup kinda girl, but after giving birth tampons and Diva Cups are a no-no as I recall. To be honest, I sewed up some pretty awesome reusable post partum pads but have chosen to start using them when I get home so that I don't have to worry about laundry right away.

Nursing Pads - Not sure if there will be much leakage in those first few days, but I might as well be prepared.  Again, I have reusable ones and will forgo the disposables altogether. 

Warm socks - hospitals can be cool, and I get cold feet...so again, I'm prepared.

Comfortable Shoes - 7 years may have passed between the birth of my children, but that isn't enough time for me to forget about how swollen my feet were...and how difficult it was to squeeze my Sasquatch feet into my shoes in order to get to the car.

Shower Shoes - If I'm allowed to have a shower I will jump at the opportunity - but not without something on my feet.  (I'm a bit of a germ a phobe).  I love love love my crocs, so these double as my loose fitting footwear and my shower shoes, helping me to pack a little lighter.

Toothbrush and Toiletries - this is a given. Who doesn't need to clean themselves up a bit after their super human efforts of delivering a child into the world? Again, to pack a little lighter, I have my shampoo bar that doubles as a face and body cleanser.

Nursing Pillow - I had this packed...but then I decided to avoid the hassle. The hospital is well stocked with pillows so that's my plan.

A bag for baby - with an outfit to go home in (a few sizes b/c who knows how big or small this monkey will be), a blanket, hat, a few diapers....

Camera/Phone/iPad - no explanation necessary, right?

The car seat!- It's installed and ready to go, because I fully expect that when we leave the hospital we will be sleep deprived already and installing the car seat takes a few more brain cells than we will have available to us at the time. Besides, who needs that extra hassle when you just want to get home with baby?

Gluten free snacks - Of course a Gluten Free Mom's Labour journey has to include gluten free provisions! I wasn't gluten free 7 years ago when I had Son #1 (although I should have been and didn't know it). I've been told that my hospital has GF meals...but really, it's hospital food and my expectations are low.  I have a stash of GF granola bars in my bag ready for this hungry momma, and I'm fully prepared to beg family and friends to bring me a decent GF meal.  

What am I missing?  It's been 7 years and my brains a little foggy these days, so really, tell me what I'm missing :). 

The count down is on though, and with 2 days left before I meet my heavy-weight babe...I'll figure out (the hard way) before long what's missing from my hospital bag.  Sounds like another blog post to me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We would love an update, gf mom :)